9th Annual Seattle-Kobe Female Jazz Vocalist Audition
The Seattle-Kobe Sister City Association (SKSCA) is pleased to announce the 9th Annual Seattle-Kobe Female Jazz Vocalist Audition. The SKSCA will send one high school-aged and one adult female jazz vocalist from the greater Seattle area to Kobe, Japan in May 2013 to be a guest singer at the 14th Annual Kobe Jazz Vocal Queen Contest.
Every fall for the last thirteen years the winner of the Kobe Jazz Vocal Queen Contest -- held in Kobe -- has flown to Seattle to make her U.S. debut at Dimitriou's Jazz Alley. Eight years ago, SKSCA began holding a jazz vocalist audition as the reciprocal component of this exchange. We are now proud to be hosting our ninth jazz audition.
Finalists will be selected by early February and will be invited to give a live audition at Dimitriou's Jazz Alley on Monday, February 25, 2013 from 6:30-9:30 p.m. Family, friends, and community members are encouraged to come and support the finalists. The suggested donation will be $5.00 for students and $10.00 for adults with proceeds supporting this and future Seattle-Kobe jazz auditions.
The two winners will be guest vocalists at the 14th Annual Kobe Jazz Vocal Queen Contest held on
May 11th, at Kobe Asahi Hall in Seattle's sister city, Kobe, Japan. (Back-up musicians will be provided.)
Grand Prize Winners will receive:
1. Roundtrip tickets to Kansai International Airport in Osaka (one for each winner and one for the guardian of the high school winner)
2. Lodging for 4 nights in Kobe (winner and guardian in same hotel room)
3. Some meals for the 4-day stay in Kobe (for winner and guardian). *Most meals/snacks, souvenirs and additional expenses are the winners' responsibilities.
4. Airport transfers/ground transportation in Kobe.
Eligibility: Applicants must (1) be a female high school student or adult 18 years or older, (2) reside in the greater Seattle area and (3) able to represent Seattle in Kobe, Japan.
I. January 19, 2013: Submit (by email) a copy of your application (click here to download) and your songs for finalist selection to firstname.lastname@example.org. Submissions must be emailed on or before January 19, 2013 to qualify.
Email all to: email@example.com)
II. February 2, 2013: Finalists will be notified by email.
III. February 25, 2013: Live audition at Jazz Alley (Mon) 6:30-9:30 p.m.
Guidelines/ Required Preparation:
I. Finalist selection:
- Completed application form
- Songs: TWO jazz tunes of contrasting styles (no more than 10 minutes in total)
II. Live audition:
- Perform two tunes of contrasting jazz styles
- May bring ONE accompanist (pianist, guitarist, etc.)
- Each finalist will have a total of 12 minutes to set-up, perform, and leave the stage.
- Performances will be judged on technical and artistic merit.
- Valid passport (must bring passport or copy of passport photo page to event)
III. Grand Prize:
Guest Singing Performance in Kobe, Japan
Sponsors for this event include:
Seattle-Kobe Sister City Association
Dimitriou's Jazz Alley
Kobe Trade Information Office
Shinkaichi Music Street
For questions or more information contact:
- (206) 619-1951 (cell)